October 12, 2009

In Stitches (Still)

Sadly, Punk is still sick. So while I attempt to scrub off the dried snot on my chest, shoulders, and arms, here are more images of the stunning efforts of the Foothills Quilters Guild (FQG).


The show was much larger than it was in 2007, with quilts of all sizes, designs, and colors truly filling the entirety of the Cleveland County Arts Council. And while I wasn't the only one there with a camera, I was the only one there who used it---every five feet---much to the chagrin of all those I blocked, photographed, and elbowed. Eh, I was on a personal tour with Leah Day!

Speaking of which. I told you she was this year's ribbon stealer.


There were a lot of earthtones in this year's quilts. This one, in particular, caught my eye because unbeknownst to the artist, it captured my two favorite things in a quilt--earthtones and stars. Who wouldn't love to wrap up in this quilt with a cup of hot cocoa in hand?

And then there were show-offs, like the woman who pieced this teeny, tiny thing. The hexagonal pieces were smaller than a dime. I paused in front of this one for quite some time, trying desperately to figure out how piecing such a quilt was possible. While I still haven't figured it out, I've concluded that a lot of Valium was likely involved. And she probably has a new eyeglass prescription to go along with her first-place ribbon.


One of my favorite Shelby residents and professional quilters, Mary Henry, hand-appliqued this adorable wall-hanging. Not only were her colors perfectly selected, but they're eggs! I love eggs. They're so versatile. So healthy. So vital to a good meringue.


In addition to quilts submitted by FQG members, quilts from a traveling exhibit, "America the Beautiful," were also on display. Each quilt represented a unique interpretation of the theme. Some were extremely poignant. Some were just plain odd, such as the quilt featuring a chicken coddling a puppy. You can see it in the lower left. Yes, a chicken and a puppy.

When you stumble across such a piece, you can only wonder if perhaps the (gulp!) artist is genius on a level you can only hope to someday understand. Um, yeah.


Then there was this piece. Simple. Significant. Heart-wrenching.


The story below detailed the quilt's creation and several hundred recreations, inspired and sent to untold numbers of soldiers wounded in the Middle East.


But by far, the quilt that drew the most smiles was this depiction of "Shelby North Pole," featuring some familiar businesses.

Such as "The Beaded Flamingo," a cute little nook inside Alley Quilts, the "ooh"- and "aww"- inspiring studio of Mary Henry and Paula Barringer. Both are as cute as a button and incredibly talented.


It won Judge's Choice and my vote for Viewer's Choice. OK, I didn't take the time to vote. But if I had, this would have been it. (Sorry, Leah!)



But the quilt show would not be complete without vendors, whose goods delight the senses and hurt the wallet. My favorite is always Brenda Arrowood's School House Quilts. She has an overwhelming amount of books, mouth-watering fabrics, and every tool and notion ever invented. Ever.

Such talent. Such beauty. Such inspiration. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment